Monday, September 3, 2012

imagine hearing music for the first time

A deaf man hears music -- and says his world has been changed forever    

in this photo by Grant Hindsley(AP)  is Austin Chapman.  he's 23 and he was born profoundly deaf.  recently, he received some new hearing aids that have a tonal range that for the first time in his life allows him to hear music........"He compares the experience to seeing a color one has never seen before." He has said "the experience of hearing music for the first time ignited a new sensation in his brain, much like a first kiss."

one of the first pieces of music he heard was Mozart's Lacrimosa:  "When Mozart's Lacrimosa came on, I was blown away by the beauty of it. At one point of the song, it sounded like angels singing and I suddenly realized that this was the first time I was able to appreciate music. Tears rolled down my face and I tried to hide it."

Rebecca J. Rosen has written more, here.


Mozart's Lacrimosa:





i love to make lists, so of course this has me thinking of my own list of music that i'd recommend someone who'd never heard music to hear his first time.  i think maybe it could be weird but when i was younger...we'd actually gather 'round my parents' console stereo and actually as a group LISTEN to something....my mom or dad would point out some passage or another they thought was interesting or well done......

 1. just about anything by Arvo Pärt, especially Tabula Rasa.
 2. Jessye Norman's interpretation of  Richard Strauss' "Beim Schlafengehen."
 3. Vivaldi's The Four Seasons.
 4.  Edwin Hawkins and the San Francisco Mass Choir's rendition of "Oh, Happy Day!"
 5.  "I am weary, let me rest." by The Cox Family
 6.  "Angel Band" by The Stanley Brothers.
 7.  "Ode to Billy Joe" by Bobbie Gentry
 8.  "California Dreaming" by The Mamas and The Papas.
 9.  "Silent Shout" by The Knife.
10. "Relax" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood.
 11.